Anyanwu et al
By Anyanwu, CE; Ugwu, AC; Ugwuanyi, DC; Maduka, BU; Robinson, ED (2022).
Greener Journal of Medical Sciences
Vol. 12(1), pp. 63-73, 2022
Copyright ©2022, the copyright of this article is retained by the author(s)
Objective Structured Clinical Examination: An Evaluation of Radiography Students’ Perception and Preference.
Anyanwu CE1, Ugwu AC1, Ugwuanyi DC1, Maduka BU2, Robinson ED3
1. Department of Radiography, Faculty of Health Sciences, Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Nnewi Campus.
2. Department of Radiography, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Nigeria, Enugu Campus
3. Department of Radiology, College of Medicine/Rivers State University Teaching Hospital. Port Harcourt
Article No.: 020822017
Assessment of clinical training is of great importance when evaluating the learning outcomes expected of radiography students especially with increasing number of students enrolled and difficulties associated with the use of the traditional clinical assessment method for radiography student’s clinical examination. The lack of objectivity, inability to test students’ communication skills, the tendency of favouritism, non-standardization of the expertise of examiners as evaluators, and influence by the nature of the student’s interaction with the examiner among others are the challenges of the traditional clinical assessment (TCE) methods compared to Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE). The study is aimed at evaluating Radiography students’ perception and preference for OSCE, as a clinical assessment method. The outcome of the study will be used during curriculum planning to motivate the adoption by Radiography training institutions and educational policy makers. A prospective cross-sectional survey approach was adopted and the participants were asked to complete a self-administered questionnaire at the end of the examination. A total of 124 participants were recruited into this study and accurately filled the questionnaire employed. Students’ perception and preference to the OSCE were investigated. Eighty percent (80%) of the respondents showed higher preference of the OSCE organization, nature of examination, composition, scoring and expectation compared to the TCE. Eighty Seven Percent (87%) of the study population perceived that OSCE has good orientation and favourable perception to the attributes, organization and validity rate of the OSCE against the TCE. The study participants had favourably preference and perception over OSCE scores. The study results show that the majority perceived and preferred the OSCE as a valuable practical experience. About 85% believed that the OSCE tested appropriate skills, provided a true measure of essential clinical skills in radiography and opted for it to remain as an examination method in the department. Students’ feedback on perception and preference suggest that the OSCE was a valuable tool and served to encourage its implementation within the undergraduate curriculum.
Dr Ebbi Donald Robinson (MBBS, MPA, MSc, FWACS)
E-mail: robinsonebbi@ gmail.com; drebbirobinson@ yahoo.co.uk
Radiography, Clinical, Assessment, Objective, Examination.
1. Agarwal, A, Batra, B, Sood, AK 2008, ‘Evolutionary trends in radiology assessment: The importance of the learning cycle and its assessment in radiology’, Indian Journal of Radiology and Imaging, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 272 – 275, viewed 17 May, 2019, doi: 10.4103/0971-3026.43833: 10.4103/0971-3026.43833
2. Agarwal, A, Batra, B, Sood, AK, Ramkantan, R, Bhargave, SK, Chidambaranathan, N et al. 2010, ‘Objective structured clinical examination in radiology’, Indian Journal of Radiology and Imaging, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 83 – 88, viewed 16 May 2019, doi: 10.4103/0971-3026.63040: 10.4103/0971-3026.63040
3. Almohiy, HM, Davidson, R 2011, ‘Evaluating the clinical teaching of medical imaging students at Curtin University of Technology, Australia’, Biomedical Imaging and Intervention Journal, vol. 7, no. 3, viewed 23 April 2019, http://www.biij.org/2011/3/e20
4. Ameh, N, Abdul, MA, Adesiyun, GA, Avidime, S 2014, ‘Objective structured clinical examination vs traditional clinical examination: An evaluation of students’ perception and preference in a Nigerian medical school’, Nigerian Medical Journal, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 310 – 313, viewed 18 May 2019, doi: 10.4103/0300-1652.137191
5. Branch, C 2014, ‘An assessment of students’ performance and satisfaction with an OSCE early in an undergraduate pharmacy curriculum’, Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 22-31, viewed 13 May 2019, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cptl.2013.09.006
6. Dauphinee, WD 1996, ‘Assessing Clinical Performance. Where Do We Stand and What Might We Expect?’, JAMA, vol. 274, no. 9, pp. 741 – 3, viewed 19 May 2019, https://mcc.ca/media/Dauphinee_Assessing-clinical-performance-Where-do-we-stand-and-what-might-we-expect.pdf
7. Dennehy, PC, Susarla, SM, Karimbux, NY 2008, ‘Relationship Between Dental Students’ Performance on Standardized Multiple-Choice Examinations and OSCEs’, Journal of Dental Education, vol. 72, no. 5, pp. 585 – 592, viewed 16 May 2019, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18451082
8. England, A 2018, ‘Clinical simulation in radiography education’, in OPTIMAX 2018 – A focus on education in radiology, pp. 11 – 23, viewed 13 May 2019, https://www.researchgate.net/publication/331113108_OPTIMAX_2018_a_focus_on_Education_in_Radiology_httpusirsalfordacuk500721HANZE-19_281820E-book20Optimax20201920LRpdf
9. Entry requirements and training (diagnostic radiographer) n.d., Health Careers, viewed 18 May 2019, https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/allied-health-professionals/roles-allied-health-professions/diagnostic-radiographer/entry-requirements-and-training-diagnostic
10. Hamilton, B n.d., What is the difference between a radiologist and a radiographer?, CAP Medics Blog, viewed 18 May 2019, https://www.gapmedics.com/blog/2016/06/29/radiology-radiography/
11. Harden, RM 1988, ‘What is an OSCE?”, Medical Teacher, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 19 – 22, viewed 19 May 2019, https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.3109/01421598809019321
12. Harden, R, Stevenson, M, Downie, WW, Wilson, GM 1975, ‘Assessment of clinical competence using Objective Structured Examination’, British Medical Journal, vol. 1, pp. 447 – 451, viewed 16 May 2019, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1672423/
13. History of the OSCE n.d., Medical Council of Canada, viewed 19 May 2019,https://mcc.ca/examinations/osce-orientation/history/
14. Jabbari, N, Zeinali, A, Ageshteh, S 2012, ‘Assessment of Radiology Technology Students’ Internship with Objective Structured Clinical Examination’, Future of Medical Education Journal, vol.2, no. 3, pp. 19 – 23, viewed 16 May 2019, http://fmej.mums.ac.ir/article_344.html
15. Kirton, SB, Kravitz, L 2011, ‘Objective Structured Clinical Examinations (OSCEs) Compared with Traditional Assessment Methods’, American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education, vol. 75, no. 6, viewed 18 May 2019, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3175669/
16. Lawrence, S, Selvan, A 2019, ‘Perception of Undergraduate Nursing Students Towards Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE)’, IOSR Journal of Nursing and Health Science, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 45 – 49, viewed 16 May 2019, DOI: 10.9790/1959-0801084549
17. Lele, SM 2011, ‘A Mini-OSCE for Formative Assessment of Diagnostic and Radiographic Skills at a Dental College in India’, Journal of Dental Education, vol. 75, no. 12, pp. 1583 – 9, viewed 13 May 2019, https://www.researchgate.net/publication/51902861_A_Mini-OSCE_for_Formative_Assessment_of_Diagnostic_and_Radiographic_Skills_at_a_Dental_College_in_India
18. Marshall, G, Harris, P 2000, ‘A study of the role of an objective structured clinical examination (OSCE) in assessing clinical competence in third year student radiographers’, Radiography, vol. 6, no. 2, pp 117 – 122, viewed 13 May 2019, https://doi.org/10.1053/radi.1999.0229
19. McAleer, S, Walker, R 1990, ‘Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE)’, Occasional paper (Royal College of General Practitioners), viewed 19 May 2019, https://www.researchgate.net/publication/21485971
20. Morag, E, Lieberman, G, Volkan, K, Shaffer, K, Novelline, R, Elvira, V 2001, ‘Clinical competence assessment in radiology: Introduction of an objective structured clinical examination in the medical school curriculum’, Academic radiology, vol. 8, pp. 74 – 81, viewed 13 May 2019, https://www.researchgate.net/publication/12130638
21. Norcini, JJ 2002, ‘The death of the long case’, British Medical Journal, vol. 324, pp. 408 – 9, viewed 16 May 2019, https://www.bmj.com/content/324/7334/408
22. Ohagwu, CC, Ochie, K, Eze, CU, Eze, JC, Ezugwu, EE, Barde, M et al. 2016, ‘Challenges of training and clinical skill acquisition in radiography education: perceptions of students in resource-poor south eastern Nigeria’, The South African Radiographer, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 7 – 13, viewed 28 April 2019, https://www.researchgate.net/publication/311534252_Challenges_of_training_and_clinical_skill_acquisition_in_radiography_education_perceptions_of_students_in_resource-poor_southeastern_Nigeria
23. Pascual, TNB, Chhem, R, Wang, S, Vujnovic, S 2011, ‘Undergraduate radiology education in the era of dynamism in medical curriculum: An educational perspective’, European Journal of Radiology, vol. 78, no. 3, pp. 319 – 325, viewed 29 April 2019, https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0720048X10004158
24. Radiologic Sciences n.d., University of South Alabama, viewed 18 May 2019, https://www.southalabama.edu/bulletin/current/degrees-programs/radiologic-sciences/radiologic-sciences-bs/
25. Rushforth, HE 2007, ‘Objective structured clinical examination(OSCE): Review of literature and implications for nursing education’, Nurse Education Today, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 481 – 490, viewed 13 May 2019, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2006.08.009
26. Sluming, V 1996, ‘Commentary: The changing world of radiography’, British Journal of Radiology, vol. 69, pp. 489 – 490, viewed 13 May 2019, https://www.birpublications.org/doi/pdf/10.1259/0007-1285-69-822-489
27. Study at City n.d., City University of London, viewed 18 May 2019, https://www.city.ac.uk/study/courses/undergraduate/radiography-diagnostic-imaging
28. The History of the OSCE 2018, American University of the Carribean School of Medicine, viewed 19 May 2019, https://www.aucmed.edu/Clinical-Connections/November2018/The-History-of-the-OSCE.html
29. What is a radiographer? 2019, Radiography careers, viewed 18 May 2019, https://radiographycareers.co.uk/
30. What is radiography? Who are radiographers? 2019, The Society of Radiographers, viewed 18 May 2019, https://www.sor.org/about-radiography/what-radiography-who-are-radiographers
31. Wikipedia contributors 2019, ‘Radiography’, Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia, viewed 18 May 2019, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Radiography&oldid=892987652
Cite this Article: Anyanwu, CE; Ugwu, AC; Ugwuanyi, DC; Maduka, BU; Robinson, ED (2022). Objective Structured Clinical Examination: An Evaluation of Radiography Students’ Perception and Preference. Greener Journal of Medical Sciences, 12(1): 63-73.
Call for Papers
Call for Scholarly Articles
Authors from around the world are invited to send scholarly articles that suits the scope of this journal. The journal is currently open to submissions and will process and publish articles monthly in two yearly issues.
The journal is centered on quality and goes about its processes in a very timely fashion. Seasoned editors/reviewers will be consulted to review each article(s), profer quality evaluations and polish the articles with expertise before publication.
Simply send your article(s) as an e-mail attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.